For our special fall style section, “50 Elements of Style: Your Fall Guide,” we created this custom embroidered vintage Levi’s jacket, covered in patches and pins. And now we’re giving it away in a special contest. All you have to do is submit your name, address, telephone number, email address and your answer (in 100 words or less) to the question: “What was your most regrettable fashion purchase–and why?” (See link below).
It could be that pair of trendy shoes you were convinced would “eventually” expand to fit your feet, or that dashing, floor-length overcoat you believed would make you resemble a commanding hero figure, but only weighed you down so badly you abandoned it in a 7-Eleven parking lot.
Entries will be judged on originality, humor, grammar and their relevance to the Off Duty audience. Whoever submits the best response will be awarded the coveted jacket.
Now, you might be thinking, “That jacket looks small.” It is, indeed, a woman’s size small, but could also fit a largish child or grandchild. For official contest rules, which every entrant must consider, read on…
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
OFF DUTY 50 CONTEST
1. HOW TO ENTER: You may enter the Contest from 12:00 p.m. (NYC Time) on September 14, 2018, through 11:59 p.m. (NYC Time) on September 21, 2018, by submitting a response here including: (A) your name, address, telephone number and email address and (B) your response (in 100 words or less) to the question: “What was your most regrettable fashion purchase, and why?” By submitting your entry you acknowledge that you have read and complied with and agrees to be bound by these Official Rules. All entries will be deemed final and cannot be changed once submitted.
2. SUBMISSIONS: Entries must be in English. One entry per person and per email account. The authorized account holder of the email account used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder or other proof of identity. Failure to provide such proof will be grounds for disqualification, in Sponsor’s discretion.
Submission of your entry grants Sponsor and its agents the right to publish, use, adapt, edit and/or modify your entry in any way (including without limitation publication of your name, city and state), in whole or in part, in any and all media, without limitation, and without consideration to the entrant or any other party, whether or not such submission results in selection of the entrant as a winner. Sponsor shall not be required to use or publish any Entry, in its sole discretion.
By submitting any entry materials, you represent and warrant that you will be the sole author of your entry, that your entry will be original in its entirety and will have never been published in whole or in part in any form, and that they will contain no matter that is obscene, libelous, unlawful in content or violative of the rights of any third party, including without limitation the copyrights of any third party.
3. WHO IS ELIGIBLE: Open to any individual who is a resident of the 50 United States or Washington DC and who is over the age of majority (able to enter binding contracts) in his or her jurisdiction of residence as of the first day of this competition. Employees of Dow Jones & Company, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, directors, trustees, agents, prize providers, suppliers and the immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible. This competition is void where prohibited by law.
4. SELECTION OF WINNER: Sponsor’s Off Duty editors will determine the winning entry based on originality, humor, grammar and relevance to Off Duty readers.
5. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES: The winner will receive a customized vintage Levi’s jacket (women’s size S). Approximate Retail Value: $100.00. Winner will be notified via email of his or her selection. If winner does not respond or fails to provide any additional information, verification or other materials when and as requested by Sponsor, such winner may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, be disqualified. Sponsor may, it its sole discretion choose to publish the name, city and state of residence and entry response of the winner and/or any other entrants in The Wall Street Journal or any other media, for no additional consideration and without liability of any kind. Sponsor shall not be required to publish entry materials of winner or any other entrant.There is no retail value associated with publication of any materials. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize of equal or greater value. No substitution or transfer of prize by winner permitted. All federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of prize recipients.
6. RELEASE: By submitting any entry and/or receipt of any prize, all entrants, including winner, agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and its respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against by claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest, publication of any entry materials or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
7. PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes winner’s and each other entrants’ consent to Sponsor’s or its agents’ use of winner’s and such entrants’ name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration.
8. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other Promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
9. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
10. DISPUTES: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the Federal or State courts located in New York City, New York; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor and Administrator in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, USA without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of New York or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York.
11. WINNERS LIST: For the name of winner, send a self-addressed, stamped (#10) envelope to: Off Duty 50 Contest, c/o Dow Jones & Company, Inc., 1211 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York 10036, Attention: Eleanore Park, to be received by December 1, 2018.
12. SPONSOR: The Wall Street Journal, c/o Dow Jones & Company, Inc. 1211 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York 10036